Monday 24 June 2013

Watch this Space!

You may have noticed that after a long drought I flooded the is blog the other day with a series of postings related to classroom assessment and evaluation.

I'll confess that I didn't just open the floodgates out of the blue and decide to sit down and write a bunch of stuff on that particular topic.  For the past few months I've been taking a course to add to my professional teaching qualifications.  The last module of this course addressed the topic of assessment and evaluation and one of the options for the culminating task was to blog on the topic of assessment an evaluation.  While the intent was to blog to an audience solely of other educators, I though there was great value in also considering a parental audience.  Not to mention it fit better with my blog (sadly neglected though it has been).

Coincidentally, today a discussion regarding elementary education and parent concerns over the programming and delivery going on in the province in general and some local classrooms in particular came up today on a community discussion board of which I'm a part.  What became clear to me from the discussion was that there is a lot of misinformation or partial information out there about what goes on in today's classrooms.  Parents want to know more, and be more involved, but there is a disconnect between what the Ministry of Education, and school boards and individual schools are trying to communicate, and how it's being received by teachers.

So I'll be putting some time over the summer into trying to simplify some of the school jargon, and pare down the wordy and lengthy curriculum documents to give parents a better idea of what current best teaching practices entail.  I expect that putting it all out there into words will improve my own teaching practice, and perhaps also that of any teaching colleagues who also stumble across the blog.

Cheers!

Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment