Monday 12 December 2011

KISSing in the Christmas kitchen: Day 1

Christmas is a busy season: it's full of special events, visits with friends and family, and lots of entertaining.  It's also a lot of work.  It's easy to let thing get out of hand, which is why I have a few strategies for KISSing (Keep it Simple, Silly) in the kitchen at Christmas time. Don't get me wrong ... I'll still be spending time this holiday season on my family's labour-intensive Swiss Christmas cookie favourites, and learning to make my mother-in-law's Christmas cake.  But I also have some delicious standbys that are super easy to put together. And (lucky you!), this week I'm sharing 5 of my quick-and-easy kitchen ideas for the holidays.


Microwave Chocolate Fudge

This recipe comes from a cookbook from my old middle school, put together as a fundraiser. 

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups icing sugar (you can sift it if you like, I don't usually bother)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
In a large microwavable bowl (I use my 8 cup glass measuring cup) stir together the icing sugar, cocoa, salt, milk and vanilla.  Top it with the 1/2 cup of margarine. 
Before putting it in the microwave
Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes ( longer, if the butter isn't melted yet, it will depend on your microwave). 
After 2 minutes in the microwave and a little stir. 
I put it back in for 30 seconds, as some of the margarine was still firm.
Stir until smooth.  (This part takes a minute or two, I find, in order to get a nice texture.) Blend in the nuts, if desired.  Pour it into a wax-lined 8" x 8" pan.  Chill in the fridge for a few hours, then cut into squares.

Before chilling.
This recipe makes a soft fudge, and is best stored in the fridge or freezer until serving.  You can add a little bit of extra icing sugar to firm it up if you prefer it that way.  If your icing sugar had some lumps, and you chose not to sift it, you may have some small white lumps in your fudge.  Personally, I don't mind them.

You can also try out some variations of this fudge, adding peppermint extract to give it a minty flavour, sprinkling nuts on top instead of mixing them in, etc.  It's all up to you!

Do you have a great idea of your own for KISSing in the kitchen at Christmas?  Please share!

1 comment:

  1. I just made this. Thanks for posting. It looks yummy, I'll have to "test" some before I freeze them.

    ReplyDelete